We currently have 4 sporting houses at Pullenvale State School. All 4 houses have a direct link to our school and community's history. The colours of our 4 houses are:
- Bainbridge- Green
- Herron- Blue
- Jagera- Orange
- Walker- Red
Robert Bower Bainbridge of Dunfermline, Scotland arrived in Brisbane with the Currie family in 1863. Mary Currie became his wife in 1871 and they lived on her property next door to her parents. They had eleven children. Robert worked away from home as a labourer, miner and road builder. During the 1890s depression he and sons Dougald and John walked to Stanthorpe to pick fruit. Robert served several terms as the school committee secretary between 1879 and 1908.
Thomas Herron came to Brisbane from Port-e-down, Ireland in 1866. He married Irishwoman Ann Jane Gray and they settled on Portion 208 at the foot of Mt Elphinstone in 1869. They sold butter at the Fortitude Valley market and later joined the Booval Dairy Co-op. Thomas was a member of the first school committee and an objector to the school's relocation. John Henry ran the farm after his parents retired to Taringa and in turn bequeathed the land to his daughters Joyce and Mary.
Neville Bonner AO (Dec.1999) was an Australian politician and the first Aboriginal Australian to become a member of the Parliament of Australia. He was appointed by the QLD parliament to fill a casual vacancy in the representation of QLD in the Senate, and later became the first Indigenous Australian to be elected to the parliament by popular vote. Neville Bonner was an elder of the Jagera people and in the year 2000 our sporting house was formed to pay homage to Neville Bonner and the local Jagera people from the Ipswich region.
Adam and Agnes Walker emigrated from Scotland in 1865. They were living on Portion 245 by 1871 and had named their homestead 'Glen Pullen'. Within three years they acquired the leasehold over another two portions. Along with seven children, they raised cattle, maize and potatoes. Adam represented the community in its bid to establish a state school and he was secretary of the first school committee. Adam was buried at Mt Elphinstone in 1879. Agnes, having transferred the titles to her name, ran the property until she retired to Taringa.